January can, for some, be a difficult month. With all the excitement of Christmas over and the weather still being a bit grey, it can sometimes be hard to pick ourselves up and head into the new year with a spring in our step. Here are my top tips for beating the January Blues.
1. Phone a friend or even better meet up with them – a chat with an old friend who makes you smile.
2. If you have children. arrange a playdate. It sounds simple but some adult conversation and a change of scenery can really help how you feel.
3. Add some colour. Whether it’s through a gorgeous bunch of flowers, a new cushion for your sofa, or a new piece of jewellery, colour can have such a big impact on how we feel. If you’re loking for some colour inspiration to add your outifts, take a look at our jewellery collection here.
4. Have a spring clean and declutter. This could be as big or small as you like – do you have one area of your house that always gets left to last to clear out? Start with this or go through your or your children’s cupboards and clear out the clothes that no longer fit – you can drop them in to a local charity shop, sell them (perhaps regain a bit of spending money after the Christmas splurge?!) or even better arrange a clothes swap with friends – a great excuse for a coffee, chat and some new clothes!
5. Plan something – it could be a holiday, a date to meet up with a friend you haven’t seen for ages, some quality time with your other half – anything you like really but make sure it’s something that you’ll look forward to.
6. Have some me-time. After the busy Christmas period, you may feel exhausted, so now is the time for some self-care! A lovely long bath, a walk in the fresh air, that yoga class you’ve been meaning to try. Whatever you choose it will help you re-energise and feel good.
7. Food and nutrition is also so important in how we feel. I for one am on a mission to eat a little healthier this month. It doesn’t have to be big changes but try adding an extra portion of greens to your meal or swapping that sugary snack for a protein one – little changes can all add up to make you feel stronger and give you energy which lasts. Check out some of our recipes here
8. Get outside! I know this may be the last thing you want to do if it is cold and wet but even just a small amount of natural light will help boost your mood. Serotonin is our happy hormone and natural light really helps to boost this.
And why not join our FREE Facebook Community, the Feel Good Mums Hub, for lots of tips, advice and supportive women. Click here to join